Sunday, February 22, 2015

Verum (The Nocte Trilogy, Book 2) by Courtney Cole

4 "Can I At Least Get Dinner First?" Stars

 
Back Cover Blurb -
 
The truth shall set you free.

My name is Calla Price and I’m drowning.

My new world is a dark, dark ocean and I’m being pulled under by secrets.

Can I trust anyone? I don’t know anymore.

The lies are spirals. They twist and turn, binding me with their thorns and serpentine tongues. And just when I think I have it figured out, everything is pulled out from under me.

I’m entangled in the darkness.

But the truth will set me free.

It’s just ahead of me, so close I can touch it. But even though it shines and glimmers, it has glistening fangs and I know it will shred me.

Are you scared?

I am.
....................
 
This book is a straight up mind fuck. Period.

Verum is the second book of the Nocte Trilogy and it is NOT a standalone. If you haven’t read the first one in the series Nocte, then I highly suggest that you start there, because Verum is confusing enough by itself and you need to go into it with as much understanding as you can. Either way, good luck.

This story picks up right where Nocte left off and it is filled with as many turns and cloak and dagger antics as the first, if not more. I knew that after reading Nocte, I needed to have more of an open mind before attempting to take on Ms. Cole again, because she is one sneaky author and obviously thrills in making her reader go, “oh my, wtf??” but even arming myself with that knowledge, at the end of this book, I found myself… yup, you guessed it…scratching my head, saying “oh my, wtf??”

There really is only so much intrigue and confusion I can take before I throw up my hands and either just read spoiler reviews and be done with it or just create my own HEA for a story and move on, I almost reached that point with Verum. Almost. I did end up finishing it and managed not to seek out any spoilers, but this book was painful to read and frustrating! My confusion level hit an all-time high while reading this, I had a massive headache by the ¾ mark and I had lost my grip on reality by the end of the book. Bravo Ms. Cole, bravo.

If you want to know whether I loved this book or hated it, I cannot give you an honest answer. I don’t know, I really don’t. I DO know one thing though and that is I HAVE to…no, I NEED to know how this trilogy ends and book three, Lux, needs to hurry up and become available. I will say this though, this book SHOULD come with a gift voucher for an amazing dinner at any restaurant of your choice, because NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should be able to fuck your mind so thoroughly without at least buying you dinner.

Overall, I recommend it. If you like your books with twists and turns, then you need to give this series a go, you will not be disappointed. I’m still reeling a little bit from this one and feel sorry for the next book I pick up, because it won’t be easy to focus my attention after this.

Happy reading, until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment