Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Mad Scientist's Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke

4 "To the moon and back" Stars

 
Back Cover Blurb -
 
"Cat, this is Finn. He's going to be your tutor."

Finn looks and acts human, though he has no desire to be. He was programmed to assist his owners, and performs his duties to perfection. A billion-dollar construct, his primary task is now to tutor Cat. As she grows into a beautiful young woman, Finn is her guardian, her constant companion...and more. But when the government grants rights to the ever-increasing robot population, however, Finn struggles to find his place in the world, and in Cat's heart.
....................
 
Ah, this book.  You know, I wasn’t too sure about this book when I first came across it.  The blurb seemed interesting enough, even if a little odd, but I could tell that this was going to be one of those books that I needed to be in the mood for before I started it, so, much to my chagrin, it sat on my to-read shelf for a while.  Once I actually did start this book though, it was an instant connection and the next time that I set it down was when I had read the last page. 

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is a compelling tale that explores the different sides of humanity, while circling around impossible love and forbidden desire.  A small child and an unsettling tutor, an open mind and a programmed machine, a love with no bounds and a man with no heart, it all comes together so beautifully in this work of art by Cassandra Rose Clarke, that one of my biggest regrets is that I didn’t start this book sooner.  The story line spans across a few decades and all the while, we are in the head of our young and often misunderstood heroine, Catarina Novak, the mad scientist’s daughter and the ensuing journey is quite remarkable. 

This story asks its readers to open up their minds and embrace a world and characters that are beyond our reality but not the realm of possibilities and embrace a love that is unconventional but no less powerful.  I had a love/hate relationship with Cat throughout most of the book and found myself a little in love with Finn by the end.  I actually had to wait a few days after reading the book to write my review, because my emotions were a little all over the place once I had finished it.  I wasn’t sure if I loved it or hated it, but as soon as my emotions calmed down, I realized that I really enjoyed the book more than I hated it and I think that it’s going to be one those that sticks with me forever. 

Overall, yes, I say read this book!  It’s not going to be for everyone and some people might not like it, but I think the uniqueness of the story and lovely writing style need to be experienced by everyone. 

Happy reading, until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment